July is “Stand Out Weddings” month here at A Daydream Wedding. And I’m super-excited about it. Because designing weddings that stand out from the crowd is what I do best. And it’s also my favorite wedding planning topic. And over the next couple of weeks, I’ll be giving you tips and ideas to make your wedding stand out from the crowd. So, you can have the wedding everyone raves about! And today, I’m sharing 4 tips to make your wedding stand out.
Stand Out Wedding Tip #1: Plan for The Weather
For many couples, the experience that guests have at the wedding is extremely important. You want your guests to have a great time at your wedding. And you want them to be happy and comfortable all throughout the day. So be sure to account for the weather when planning out your wedding day. Make your wedding stand out by having a plan in place for keeping your guests happy and comfortable regardless of the weather conditions on the wedding day.
If you are getting married in the Sacramento area in the Summer, it will almost certainly be hot. So, if any part of your wedding is outdoors, be sure to have a plan in place to keep your guests cool and hydrated. Here are some ideas:
- Shade: Make sure there is a shaded area for your guests. You could set up a wedding tent or canopy to provide shade for your guests. If that is not possible, then consider providing parasols for shade.
- Refreshments: Providing refreshments is a great way to keep your guests cool and hydrated. You could do a drink station and offer beverages like fruit-infused water or lemonade. Or you could get a decorative tub and fill it with ice and water bottles.
- Hand Fans: Hand fans are always a hit at summer weddings. And they can be personalized for a more upscale effect. You can get fans with the wedding program printed on them. So, they serve as a fan, but also as a keepsake. Or you can also get fans with the wedding timeline printed on them. Or just your names and wedding date. Or you could go basic and just mix-and-match fans in your wedding colors.
- Sunblock: If the guests will be outdoors for any length of time, be sure to have some sunblock on hand. Your guests will not be comfortable if they have a sunburn.
- Bug Spray: If your guests will be outside in the evening, protect them from mosquitos and other bugs and have some bug spray on hand.
If you’re getting married in the Spring or Fall, you probably won’t have to deal with super-hot weather. However, you will probably have to deal with chilly evenings. And you could even encounter some rain too. So, you’ll want to have a plan in place to keep your guests warm and dry if your wedding is outdoors. Here are some ideas to think about:
- Portable Heaters: Renting a couple of portable heaters can go a long way in keeping your guests warm. Most rental companies offer portable heaters and they don’t cost a lot to rent.
- Blankets/Pashminas: You can’t go wrong having a stack of blankets or pashminas available for your guests. They are perfect for those chilly evenings.
- Wedding Tent: If it looks like there may be rain on the wedding day, be sure to rent a wedding tent. Some rental companies will let you put one on hold. So, if it rains, you’ll have a tent ready to go. And if it doesn’t rain, you don’t have to move forward with the rental.
- Umbrellas: If rain is in the forecast for the wedding day, be sure to have some umbrellas on hand for your guests.
Stand Out Wedding Tip #2: Make Each Place Setting Special
For guest tables, many couples use a basic linen, along with 8 plates, 8 water goblets, 8 napkins, and 8 flatware sets. Then they complete the table with a centerpiece in the middle. And there is nothing wrong with that. It looks fine and depending on the linen, china, and centerpiece, it can look upscale and elegant. But if you want to make your wedding stand out to your guests, show them they are special and you are thinking of them. Take it up a notch and give each guest a special place setting. A few ideas for you to consider:
- Custom Folded Napkins: Instead of a basic square or rectangle napkin fold, do something fancier. To get some ideas, go to YouTube and search for napkin fold ideas. You will find tons of videos that show you how to do napkin folds. My favorite kind of napkin fold is one that allows you to insert a menu or thank you card into the napkin.
- Napkin Inserts: If you do the napkin fold that allows you to insert a card, you can insert a menu or thank you card. You could also add some additional flair by inserting a sprig of greenery or a single stem flower.
- Personalized Place Settings: Have something with the guest’s name on it. A lot of couples do place cards. However, it doesn’t necessarily have to be a card. It can be any object that is personalized with their name on it. Guests will appreciate that you created a space just for them.
- Favors: Instead of having favors in a basket somewhere, or at a table for them to grab as they leave, make the favor as part of their place setting.
Stand Out Wedding Tip #3: Offer Something Different to Keep Your Guests Entertained
These days, most couples book a DJ or band to play music at the wedding and keep their guests entertained. Many couples also opt for a photo booth and lawn games like corn hole and ring toss. These are great ideas to keep your guests entertained, but they are becoming commonplace. So, to make your wedding stand out to your guests, offer some different experiences to keep them entertained. For example:
- Have a scavenger hunt or treasure hunt at your wedding with a prize for the winner.
- If you want to do lawn games, consider a putt-putt course. They’ll still get the lawn games experience, but it will be something they likely have not seen done at a wedding.
- Have a “Wheel of Fun”. Guests can spin the wheel and land on spaces giving them something to do at the wedding. For example, they could land on a space that says “Hug a Stranger”. Or “Give Some Marriage Advice to the Newlywed”. Other ideas: “Take A Shot”, “Take a Photo with the Newlyweds”, or “Pick A Couple in The Crowd and Have Them Kiss”.
- Bring in some vendors to interact with your guests. Some fun options are a tarot card or palm reader. Or a caricature artist.
Stand Out Wedding Tip #4: Send Them Off with a Treat
You’ve served them dinner and dessert, and they have been dancing for a couple of hours. By now, the food has likely digested and they have probably worked up an appetite from all the dancing. So, consider giving them one last treat before you say goodbye. Most guests expect the meal and dessert, but not a late-night snack. So, make your wedding stand out and serve them a late-night snack. You could serve something comforting like warm cookies and milk. Or you could bring in a food truck to serve them something fun and tasty like street tacos or mini sliders before you say goodbye.
I hope you found these ideas helpful and valuable. If you like the ideas I shared today and would like to hear more, there is a free Wedding Ideas Guide you can download from our website. It’s called 36 Ways To Make Your Wedding Stand Out and it’s packed full of ideas to make your wedding stand out and be the wedding everyone raves about. You can download your free copy here.
Wedding Planning Tips, Tricks, Hacks, and Advice
For more valuable wedding planning advice, ideas, and inspiration schedule a free Wedding Planning Consultation with A Daydream Wedding today. We’ll discuss your ideas, inspirations, preferences, and what makes you unique so we can create a wedding as awesome as you are! If you are not quite ready to sign on with a wedding planner but would like tips, tricks, hacks, and advice delivered right to your email inbox instead, sign up for our email list below: